Sunday, June 10, 2007

Carolina On My Mind


Gazebo Charleston
Originally uploaded by erickpineda527
It's weird that some of the things that made me leave Charleston are the very same reasons to come back. For the past few years I've been yearning for that something that I took for granted years ago. I guess you can account that to being in Florida for too long.

When we moved here it was solely to further our careers and make substantially more money than what a soft Charleston market could offer. I still don't regret that. We were able to do and see things that living in the little bubble of "home" could never offer. It was the right time when we did what we did 10 years ago. But now I can see how Florida has really changed us.

I've ranted about it before on this blog and just to reiterate that belief...

Florida is a transient state for many people. It's a melting pot of too many different cultures and customs that don't necessarily blend well together. People can be selfish and rude sometimes. It's an unfair generalization, I know, but apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way. Self comes before others. What can you offer to me for nothing? Unless you play "the game" well you get nothing for a fair shake. It's an awful attitude that many people here hold.

In Charleston, it's a very polite society. Even to the tourists. Call it Old Southern Hospitality, but there's a value to it that words cannot explain. I grew up around it and it was doubly compounded coming from a very modest military Filipino family. Sure there's still problems with the South - I grew up the target of more than my share of racist behavior in a small southern town, but Orlando has that too and much more.

No comments: