Saturday, October 18, 2008

What The Hell?!?


dankert-sleepless
Originally uploaded by erickpineda527
Pretty amazing the things your body gets used to and I don't mean that in a good way. When I was considerably younger I remember being able to be up and out til the wee hours and then be able to sleep for twelve hours straight. That was a LONG time ago.

Since we've had our first child I've experienced a huge change in my sleeping habits. While I still can stay up pretty late if I have to (I don't necessarily want to) my sleep has been reduced to maybe 2-3 at a time. Back then the new father experience kept me wired and ready to go with diaper changes, feedings, and bad dreams. Now with Nico the same reasons to get up in the middle of the night X2 is caught up with me. I'm definitely slower, less patient and feeling beaten down.

Isa has gotten into the habit of not wanting to go to bed until she's totally asleep on the couch or our bed anywhere from midnight to 2am with the tv on. I've debated with El on the trying to kick this bad habit with little success. I feel like we're such pushovers when it comes to sending Isa to bed at a much earlier time. She's tried to have her eaten dinner, bathed, teeth brushed, books read and to bed before I get home from work at 10:30pm but the routine never seems to stick. I've tried to have all the lights dimmed, the tv off, and some soft music played at night to get her tired, but sometimes I'm just too damn tired and wound up to do this routine when all I want to do is eat dinner and veg out in front of the tv.

The past two nights I've forcibly put Isa to bed around 8:30ish to give El and I some downtime before we turn in. This means dinner, wash up, change into pajamas, read books, pray and then lie down for the little girl. She's fought us on this both nights. It ends up me calmly trying to explain to her that we can do things the next day, but now it's time for "night night." This equals to me closing the door on her room while she screams for 15 minutes until she passes out from exhaustion. El hates this part, but I feel adamant about this. I have to lay the law down and be the dad.

I've read somewhere that in a week or so Isa will accept this rule and not put up a fuss. Hopefully she'll also accept the fact that she has to stay in HER bed at nights and not crawl into ours at 4am. Nico still has his nightly feedings and El's face at the end of the day tells me she can't handle the brutal hours anymore. I'm trying to find a solution that will benefit the entire family.

You've heard/read the stories about lack of sleep and its effect on the human body, right? Development problems and such? I don't want this for Isabella, but come to find out one of the main results of a lack of proper sleep is WEIGHT GAIN... FOR ADULTS... WTF?!? This would explain the massive weight gain in me these last two years...in addition to the crappy work schedule (until 10pm), eating crap for dinner at work, and no time for a proper workout like I used to.

Tonight I had Isa dressed and in bed by 8:30. Early enough for El and I to have some quiet time together and watch the new Indiana Jones movie on dvd. We didn't even get halfway thru the film and we were asleep by 10:30 (VERY rare for us). The drawback? I woke up wired at 1:30am.

So here I am.

Again.

Blogging.

Even with the opportunity to get some sleep I can't. Odd what your body gets used to after so much abuse for so long. This blows.

4 comments:

ha1ku said...

It's true. Screwing up your sleep schedule will also screw up your eating habits. Personally, I think sleep deprivation leads to depression, and depressed people will sometimes eat poorly. I try not to eat past 6pm anymore, but I sometimes fail. The late-night snacking is what has contributed to making me a fatty, so I keep oranges and other fruits in the house to curb the hunger.

Hang in there, guys.

Lek said...

Yep I read that the 7-9 hours of sleep an adult requires each night is when the body repairs itself. The lack of sleep leads to carbohydrate starvation. This in turn leads to late night snacking of the wrong stuff, which leads to the weight gain. So now I realize it, but will I be able to do something about it? I hope so.

Anonymous said...

I've heard the Ferber method is good for sleep training - you're already on your way with her crying 15 minutes before she falls asleep. It's hard working in that bedtime evening routine while trying to keep somewhat of a normal routine for yourselves. Our success lately is that we're managing to eat dinner by 9pm instead of 10pm most of the time. But I think Isa will get used to her bedtime routine if you just keep at it. I know we want to have another baby too, I just can't even imagine how to handle two! Give El a hug for me!

Lek said...

Hi Jenny - thanks for the encouraging words. As counterproductive as it was we actually had to swing by a friend's house to drop off some food and a housewarming/baby gift after I left TGC at 5pm. We didn't get home until 11pm. AAAGH!

I'm actually still struggling with Isa to stay in her bed at nights. I love cuddling with her, but some nights it's just too much on El and I. A little girl's foot in your eye at 4am is not good for anyone.

My suggestion to you and Joe on having a second child is waiting until Parker is a little bit older and sleeping in her own bed consistently. And did I read your blog correctly a week ago...that you finished nursing at 15 MONTHS? OW! Hope everything has been good with you guys!