Saturday, October 18, 2008

It's a Big Ask.

For the last two years El has asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I've always thrown in these rims in the mix. It's not anything I need. It's just a frivolous want. I love the way my infiniti looks already, but I saw these awhile back on a black BMW M3 and it was killer.

I had pretty much given up on my old hobbies of booming car stereos and car customization when I traded in my Mitsu Eclipse Spyder for the G35. What with a kid and all on the way the convertible was no longer a practical car to have eventho it was fun to drive on a good day. I was just sick of the sinking paranoia that someone was going to slash the convertible top AGAIN and try to swipe my system.

So when I bought the G35 a couple of years ago I asked myself if I was to change anything on it what would it be? There's nothing really wrong with the car I purchased. It was the cool ass graphite grey with the sports package I wanted. All black leather interior with power everything (and I mean everything). It even had a decent in-dash Bose CD changer with optional satellite radio with 8 speakers. It was spacious (much more so than my previous 2-seater). It kicked out some serious power. It had a nice,refined look and ride that I wanted without being too showy. The only thing I wanted was to add some new rims to it to make it truly mine.

Rims aren't cheap - at least the kind I like myself. I was never a chrome guy and I really hate the matte black rims that all these Orlando pseudo-racers liked. No I 've always been kind of a "sleeper" custom car guy. Wheels slightly larger than stock (I just want to go to 18's) that looked kind of stock, but weren't. When I saw the Venti's it was love at first sight.

I didn't know what brand it was, but it had all the features I loved. Slightly oversized with a pearl black interior finish to match the car's paint (I hate shiny bling - ugh! What a lame word!). The only shine I liked was a deep, chrome lip on it. Just enough to catch the light. Throw some nice low profile tires on it. Set.

I had been looking on craigslist for some time trying to find something on the cheap that also looked nice and kind of matched the criteria. Came close a few times, too, but I could never pull the trigger on something I only "kinda" wanted. I mean...hell...why put forth money on something unless it's absolutely what you want? Or need? or LUST after?

El asked me AGAIN today the "Christmas Question". Well here it is AGAIN. The gauntlet has been thrown down. Hey all a fella can do is ask, right? I've been good this year...

No comments: