Saturday, January 17, 2009

When All Is Lost...

Well it happened yet again. Isabella, Nicholas and I had to run errands while mom was at work and Isa INSISTED on bringing Bunny with her to the grocery. I told her she would lose it (again). She threw a fit. FINE take it, but if you lose it...you lose it.

And she did, of course. And as Murphy's Law dictates it would be when both kids were crying for a bottle of milk and the other when she realized her beloved Bunny was missing somewhere in the mazelike grocery that is Albertson's. Well both kids were already strapped into their carseats and I was already losing patience after having to wait in line to pay for 15 minutes while Nico started to lose it.

"Well...what did I say Isa? You'd lose it." You can't reason with little kids. I knew El would be totally upset finding out the one toy Isa had and loved as a baby was gone. Isa was already there. I talked to several employees in the parking lot asking them (nay PLEADING with them) if they could check Customer Service or even run through the store quickly and see if the missing animal could be found (I was busy consoling a screaming Nicholas with a bottle of milk).

Of course, no one cared enough. How could they? They didn't realize the severity of the situation. The scruffy, beat up toy bunny was a symbol of Isabella's childhood. Irreplaceable. The last time we tried to find a backup bunny identical to this one it was nearly impossible. Eleanor searched multiple discount stores only to find this last one - Isa had ALREADY lost the original at a local Super Target over a year ago and was stealthily replaced before she could realize this was just a clone. And like I said that was over a year ago. We'd never find another like it ever again. Trust me I've tried combing the internet for a long time.

Time was ticking away in the parking lot, but I had to settle the two down first. Those few precious moments lost. Like a missing child the trail gets cold fast if you don't act fast. Once settled I hustled to find another shopping cart, stick both kids in and retraced my steps exactly through the store. The further I got in the more it stuck in my head the beloved toy was gone forever. Who would want to return a beaten, dirty stuffed bunny to Lost and Found. It looked like it deserved the trash bin.

I walked through the aisle I paid for my groceries at, through the pet department, frozen foods...no sign. The clerk I ran into hadn't seen anything but promised to keep an eye out for it (liar). The supervisor by the butcher promised same thing (she'd forget in five minutes I was even there). Looking down each aisle...cereals, spices, canned vegetables, picnic items, baby toiletries. Nothing. I was almost at the beginning of where I remembered her last holding Bunny, the deli section, and was starting to think of how to console her again.

Then as I glanced over another deli island I saw a misshapen, raggedy form draped over the cooler edge of the cheeses and last season's summer sausages. Salvation. As soon as I snatched up her long lost Bunny Isa let out a scream of joy. She grabbed it out of my hands, gave it a kiss and squeezed it so hard it could've yelped if it were alive. Proud of myself I walked out of Albertson's patting myself on the back for being the good father. The day was saved.

1 comment:

ha1ku said...

Get a string, tie it to bunny's arm, take the other end, tie it to Isa's wrist.

Done and done.