Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Isa.


Isabella Ruiz Pineda
Originally uploaded by erickpineda527.
It's been over a week since her birthday. There's so much to learn about being a parent and so much more to experience. We're doing our best to soak in every new learning experience and not take things too seriously. Are we nervous about every sneeze she makes? Is she too bundled up? Is she eating too little or too much?

In this short week we've learned so much about this little person who has consumed so much of our lives in the blink of an eye. We know her different cries. We know what small things soothe her. Today I felt like she's starting to know my face and voice. Every moment seems to be a polaroid moment.

Through all the all night crying sprees and soiled diapers she's still a cutie. She makes me laugh with her different faces of frustration. I look at her sometimes and study her face. The nose and eyes are mine. The mouth I suspect is El's (she debates me on that). I even know how she got dry skin. She definitely sleeps deep like her mother. She's absolutely a product of El and I.

I can't wait for those moments when she first laughs or learns to walk or call out for "Dad". It's still hard to imagine that this person is in my life. Corny and cliched I know. Things will definitely change, but I know it'll be for the better and will make me a better person. Patience, understanding and self sacrifice. I'm ready.

Even Bailey, as needy as he usually is, has learned who she is and is quickly learning his place in the family ("no jumping onto the bed, you can smell her feet only, don't lick her face") and sacrificed his beloved place at the foot of the bed to learn to sleep in his new bed by the door. He doesn't even bark when she cries. What a smart dog.

I don't mean to bore you or sound like a Hallmark card, but I'm stunned by her. She'll be a handful, but I can hardly contain my excitement when I think about the person she will grow up to be one day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story and picture Erick! I'm so happy for you both. :O)

XOsunnydaysXO said...

the joys of parenthood! certainly not the easiest task, but the most fullfilling by far! i've said it once, and i'll say it again...you never really know love, until you have a child. life is suddenly so different, and has so much more meaning! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Erick - Isa is simply gorgeous! Enjoy every minute. I always heard people say "kids grow up so fast" but never really knew what that meant until we had Raymond!

Blink and you'll be planning her first birthday.

- Angela Wheaten
(Madison, WI)