Tuesday, December 14, 2004

"You like reaching into your pocket and only feeling your leg???"


no money
Originally uploaded by erickpineda527.
-quoted from George Washington Duke, Promoter Extraordinaire, Rocky V


This time of year always puts a hurting on me financially more so than others I imagine. In addition to it being the holiday season, El is also a New Year's Eve baby. So she always makes out like a bandito this time of year - Christmas presents and birthday presents. Of course, I always try to get her something she'd like.

This year will be different in that I plan on hosting a shindig to celebrate New Year's Eve and her 33rd birthday. Friends and family will travel from around the country to help celebrate. Since I'm not making it into a gigantic extravanaganza, I plan on some really topnotch details.

Sample menu...
• Panko & Pisatchio encrusted Basa with a Ber Blanc sauce • Beef Souvlaki with Tzatziki Sauce • Crab Cakes in a Black Bean Salsa • Leche Flan topped with fresh berries • Chicken Chunk Finger Sandwiches on Marbled Rye • Pecan Encrusted Beef Tenderloin with Horseradish • Southwestern Chicken Eggrolls • Calamari with Marinara • and on and on

I also plan on serving only wines (Cabernets/Merlots, Rieslings, Chardonnays, Pinot Grigio) and some bubbly to toast off to. Mostly, it's wines El and I have sampled over the years and enjoyed.

Even the decor, which is themed, will be a secret until the evening of. I plan on having El take everyone out to a theme park (Disney or such) while I prepare the house for the festivities. All I can say is the event will be based on good fortune for the upcoming year.

I would've liked to have had all of our friends and family here as a mini reunion, but I realize this time of year is tricky as far as scheduling. Still a good many of them will make the trek. All of the repairs and updates to the house has, in a way, been in anticipation of this event. I know El didn't want to make a big deal out of her birthday, but slowly she is getting into it. I hope she and everyone else enjoys what I 've got planned out - she truly deserves it. All I know is it's a nice sized dent in the wallet...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know for sure that El deserves all the best in life, so money should not be a big deal. We're so anxious to visit you and see all the old faces that I haven't seen in a while. Take care! Kristie and I will see you both in December 30th.

Pele

Lek said...

Carlito we look forward to seeing you guys here. I know we'll see you in SC (at least hopefully), but it'll be great to see you here as well - been aq long time coming. And yep, El works hard so I hope it'll be a nice event to remember!

Lek

Anonymous said...

aaah...catering - music to my ears. Back in my college years I would've never thought I'd be so into cooking like I am, especially since I was getting my degree in design. But working at The Lady & Sons really lit a fire under my ass. Still a nice creative thing to do, though, right? Jenny...anytime!

Lek