Thursday, November 17, 2005

LIVE! At The Social!

I remember back in Charleston when my buddy Dave, Clay and I were heavy into live music. It really didn't seem to matter too much what genre it was (well for the most part at least - L7 really gave me a headache) so long as it was live. Every week we were hitting maybe 1-2 shows of local or headliners.

There's defintely something about seeing a band live vs. hearing their studio produced album, especially if you're in a smaller venue. Being in the middle of a crowd totally immersed into the band's performance was sooo different than popping in a CD for a listen. Plus, it helped that booze was always on hand.

One group a friend from work, Bartels, introduced me to last Friday was Karl Denson. He had played previously with Lenny Kravitz and the Greyboy Allstars. Now apparently as a VERY popular jazz influenced jam band (gauging from crowd at The Social) we checked them out after a brief Happy Hour at McCormick and Schmick with Paul, Tommy, Ingrid and Brian. Damn that was good! These guys went off - total stage performance - they kept grooving all through the night. I'd definitely see them again...

No comments: