Monday, June 27, 2005

Beach Day

All last week I struggled with a spot to spend the upcoming weekend. All forecasts pointed to a rainy weekend along the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico. We've been landlocked for most of the season and I was itching to get out to some water to kick back and soak some rays. Unfortunately, all my attempts to put together a nice spot somewhere along the panhandle failed. No hotels. So I opted for maybe a total change of venue.

New York? Las Vegas? San Fran? Seattle? Raleigh? Either there was no hotels available, no inexpensive airfare or the weather wasn't permitting. Oh well.

In the end we went to Bradenton Beach along the Gulf of Mexico. The day started out clear and sunny. Perfect beach weather. Rachel, El and I packed the truck up for the trip and we were off. It was a little bit of a haul past Clearwater Beach, but my stipulations were simple - white sand; clear, warm water; no traffic; and no tourists. The opposite of Clearwater Beach (which is closer to us).

I tell you what - Bradenton Beach and it's surrounding beaches (Coquina and Anna Maria) may notbe the most well known, but that's a good thing. When we arrived we pulled right into a parking space. I parked right next to a beach walkway which ended right at a perfect spot. Plenty of room on the white, soft sand and it wasnt even remotely crowded.

I spent plenty of time laying out and slipping into the warm water for a swim. Now I remember why we wanted to move to Florida in the first place. Alot of family and friends think that we are a hop, skip and a jump from all the beaches. Not so.

I've always lived no more than 20 minutes away from the beach (yes, even in Savannah) and kinda took it for granted. But in Orlando we are easily an hour and a half away from the nearest beach. The drive is definitely worth it, though, if you go to any along the Gulf of Mexico. There the beaches are the best I've seen along our travels. El and I made a vow to try to make it out further along the Panhandle towards Destin and Seaside this season (I think they filmed Truman Show, with Jim Carrey, out there). And don't let the shark attack stories scare you - they aren't as often as you would think considering all the publicity they've gotten in the past few years.

1 comment:

Lek said...

Thanks Jenny! Sorry I couldn't make it out to your soiree - I heard it was a pretty good time! Next time na lang!